Pages

Martes, Agosto 17, 2010

Militant youth provokes city gov’t to immediately act on dengue issue


“That is so imprudent. Even if the cases now are less than that of last year, aren’t they alarmed of its increasing number? How many should be infected of it and how many should die before the city government act on this?”

Militant youth provokes city gov’t
to immediately act on dengue issue

August 17, 2010
Press Release


Comprehensive and militant youth organization ANAKBAYAN is agitated by the ‘no-action’ scenario of the city government on the issue of dengue.

“There has been an increasing rate of dengue cases and casualties in Iloilo City,” says James Saguino, Anakbayan Panay Regional Spokesperson and convener of OPLAN KONTRA DENGUE, a broad alliance of organizations to combat dengue led by Kalipunan ng mga Damayang Mahihirap (KADAMAY-PANAY).

The cases of dengue have reached its record to more than 300 with almost 10 casualties already.


No concrete actions taken yet

Saguino added “However, as we can see, it seems that the city government is not alarmed by this dilemma. As of now, no concrete actions can be seen from the ranks of the city officials to address the actual needs of the people.”

He said that immediate actions should be done as these present figures may still rise up because rain nowadays is very frequent.

He also slammed a pronouncement of a city councilor that the city cannot declare a State of Calamity because to declare such, there should be at least 20% of the population who are affected by that certain case. There were also other pronouncements from other councilors that they are not going to support any action now putting the city under a State of Calamity or State of Eminent Danger.

They claim that this declaration is not necessary because the figure this year, as of the last report of the Department of Health, is lower than last year, and there was even no declaration on the latter.

“That is so imprudent. Even if the cases now are less than that of last year, aren’t they alarmed of its increasing number? How many should be infected of it and how many should die before the city government act on this?” says Saguino. 

He added “And, let us recall why there was no declaration last year? It was because no one from the bureaucracy ever took the matter of dengue seriously despite that Iloilo City ranks on top in Western Visayas lat year.”


Gov’t failed to escalate people’s basic issue

He also exposed negligence of the government in securing the right of every Ilonggo to health services especially those who are economically-deprived.

He stressed “At this point, we can assess to which interest the city government is up to. If it can invest hundreds of thousands up to millions to projects that are not even the direct interest of the Ilonggos, why can’t they allocate supplemental or calamity fund now, knowing that health is a basic right of every citizen?”


Our summon to uphold public health, other basic social services

“We call on the city council to immediately pass the resolution being proposed by Councilor Lyndon Acap putting Iloilo City in the ‘State of Eminent Danger’ on their session this Wednesday, and shall lead to the release of a fund that will help dengue-infected patients,” he says.

“Dengue fever is a poor man’s disease. Although anyone regardless of class can possibly be infected, majority, if not all, whose case becomes worse are from the lower ranks of the society because of their financial incapability to shoulder high costs of laboratory and medical requirements to identify that he or she has been infected by dengue,” he added.

“Poor housing services, solid waste management and drainage system are also key factors to this case increase,” says Saguino.

“People especially children who live in crowded and thick communities have high risks of being infected with dengue.”

“We challenge the government to review the basics of public service. From the perspective of the youth, we are very much saddened by these actions. The government should set its priorities according to the call of times. It should at all times abide with the interests of the people.”

He stressed some basic rights of every Ilonggo that the government and the people per se should uphold: right to education, water, food, shelter, health and other basic social services. #



For reference:

JAMES SAGUINO
Regional Spokesperson
ANAKBAYAN PANAY
anakbayanpanay@gmx.com
09182143454

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento